I’m available for freelance games writing and narrative design work. Contact me if you think I might be a good fit for your project.
I have nine years of experience in the games industry, during which time I gained experience of writing, narrative design, general content design, and coding. In 2014 I left the industry to become an independent developer, and have produced several solo games, including the popular text-based strategy game Seedship. I’ve also had a science fiction novel published by Harper Voyager.
- Narrative design and writing as part of a large team, working closely with other disciplines including design, graphics, and audio, and leading teams of developers on large projects.
- Narrative design, writing, and general game development as a solo developer, seeing through all parts of a project from start to finish.
- Writing for and directing voice actors.
- Creating in-game cinematics.
- Experience with procedural generation, both of text and of large-scale story structures.
Publications: digital games
- Beyond the Chiron Gate, Twine, self-published, 2022. Large text-based space exploration roguelike with extensive procedural generation. Also available as an app for Android and iOS.
- Cyborg Arena, Twine, self-published, 2021.
- The Mirror Sorceress, Ink, self-published, 2020. Interactive short story.
- Seedship for Zo, chatbot game, Microsoft, 2018. A modified version of Seedship was playable though Microsoft's Zo chatbot from July 2018 until the chatbot was discontinued in 2019.
- They Will Not Return, Twine, self-published, 2018. Interactive novella.
- Industrial Accident, Twine, self-published, 2017. Hypertext fiction.
- Rage Quest: Disciple of Peace, Twine, self-published, 2017. Choose-your-own-adventure style interactive novella. 19th place, 2017 IFComp.
- Seedship, Twine, self-published, 2017. Space colonization strategy game with random events and procedurally-generated text. Also available as an app for Android and iOS.
- RuneScape, online game, Jagex Ltd., 2005-2014. In my role of content developer (2005-2007) and senior content developer (2007-2014) I designed and wrote many pieces of content.
- @wizards_bot, Twitter bot, self-published, 2022. Procedural story generator.
- Encounter, pen-and-paper RPG, self-published, 2021.
- @spaceoverlord -- Twitter bot
- Twine, Forward!, Twine, self-published, 2016. A story generator based on mid-20th century Soviet Socialist Realist fiction. Educational collaboration with Dr. Katherine Bowers (University of British Columbia).
- @spaceoverlord, Twitter bot, self-published, 2017. Procedural story generator.
- Belt Three, novel, Harper Voyager, 2015.